Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Happy New Year! - Easy Recipe for Healthy Burritos

My last blog post got such a great response and I am so glad so many could relate to what I was feeling. Sometimes it is hard to say how you really feel because you may feel it is taboo or you are alone in your feelings. Ladies feel a lot of pressure to be perfect and we all share in this feeling so in my blog I'll try to shed a little light on how it really is and hope maybe it will show others they are not alone in their feelings. (wow that's a lot of feelings! haha)
With the new year here we have all made resolutions to try and make life better than last year. One of my resolutions is to be healthier and to finally lose this baby weight! It has been over a year and I can't really say I "just had a baby". Before someone asks me if I am pregnant or I pass out from wearing Spanx that are too tight, I am going to give this a real try. I'm going to Lucille Roberts on Steinway because it is cheap and has babysitting, I bought only healthy foods for me and my family, I cleaned out my cupboard and started recording motivational shows like Biggest Loser. I have been searching for recipes that will cut calories but not flavor. I decided to try my own substitutions. The first recipe I tried was the good old Burrito. This one is much healthier than the original version and is quick and easy so I can still go to the gym and have dinner ready in 30 minutes.

Ingredients List:
extra lean ground beef or ground turkey
spicy, chunky salsa (I used Santa Barbara Garden Style)
reduced fat sour cream (optional)
brown rice
lettuce or cilantro
cumin
oregano
salt and pepper
whole wheat wraps

Directions:
  1. Prepare rice how you usually would ( I make mine in a rice cooker, only takes 30 mins) and while rice is cooking you can prepare the rest of the ingredients.
  2. Season meat with cumin, oregano, salt and pepper and brown meat. Drain and set aside.
  3. Put cheese, salsa, lettuce, taco sauce and sour cream in small containers and on the table.
  4. Place whole wheat wraps on a plate and warm just before serving.
  5. Ring the dinner bell!
Now you have a make your own healthy burrito buffet and it only took 30 mins.This recipe is great because each person can customize their own plate and omit anything they don't want. It also works with grilled chicken or grilled vegetables and even black beans and avocado. Try your own version and share what you liked best. I'll keep trying new healthy options and share with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment